Creative Learning Academy students are involved in a number of civic and community improvement efforts as part of our service learning initiative. Understanding the value of contributing time and energy in an effort to help others is an important part of a student’s social and emotional development. Service Learning is different than community service in that students take time to learn about the causes they are promoting and learn through the experiences of service. School-wide Dragon Days have been created to set aside time to serve in our community. In addition to small, outdoor projects to care for our beautiful living campus, a few of their service learning experiences have included:
- Make scarves and donate books and pajamas for the children at the Gulf Coast Kid’s House
- Read to children in the Head Start Program
- Clean and weed a rather large family plot to help aid in the preservation of historic St Michaels Cemetery
- Plant a living shoreline on Bayou Grande with Northwest Florida Aquatic Preserves
- Became“Blanketeers” for Project Linus
- Collect much needed donations for our fellow Floridians devastated by Hurricane Michael
If you have a service learning idea you would like to share or are interested in knowing more about our academic program, email our Director of Admissions and Student Life or call us at 850.432.1768.